Twelve Important Life Lessons I Learned in 2012
Happy New Year!!!! Tomorrow is the start of a new year, 2013. I'm so excited about creating my best year yet! Every time I look at this piece of art that one of my sisters made for me last Christmas, I remind myself of all the things I can do if I put my mind to it. In 2013, I want to keep following my passion, and keep dreaming. I'm truly grateful for this wonderful gift. Thank you.
On December 31st, I always take time to reflect on the events of the past year and the lessons I have learned. Through the ups and the downs, I have experienced so much this last year and I would love to share 12 important lessons with you. 2012 was an amazing year for me. Let me share with you my reasons why through the top 12 lessons:
1. I found the strength to dig deep and share my authentic voice. In the past, I had been holding back and was too scared to speak from the heart. This year I did just that and found the power of my voice.
2. Once I started listening to my inner voice, I started to see beauty everywhere and empowered others through sharing my random thoughts (i.e., my life story). As a result, I ended up getting recognized as See Beautiful's Woman of the Month and Nourishing the Soul's Best Body Image Blogger 2012.
3. Your attitude controls the situation. You can be in the best or worst place; it’s your attitude that counts. Your experience is what you make it. I choose to be happy! Despite the rain, I choose to shine. I choose to PERSEVERE despite what circumstances I am dealt!
4. Being by the water and dipping your toes in the ocean is essential to your health. My sister and I did this every chance we could while travelling through Britain and Ireland this past summer. Research from the European Centre for Environment and Human Health confirms that relaxing at the water’s edge is more relaxing for your psyche than passing the day in other natural settings. Reflecting on the beach last year taught me to STAND FIRM AGAINST THE TIDE!
5. Travel is so important in one’s life. You get out of your comfort zone and go explore. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain. I learned important lessons through two separate trips this year: one to Hawaii and the other through Britain and Ireland.
6. Through my travels, I learned: It’s the people that make the experience! I think we had the best tour group ever! In fact, I know we did. Our group started off as strangers and ended up as a tour family! That is why I ask others to be part of my "Profiles of Perseverance" series as I want to hear from others and create a community. Thank you to all my readers and contributors for taking part in this adventure!
7. There will be hardship and loss in your life but don't let those stop you from getting close to people. I lost a dear friend and my family pets (dog and cat) this year (all due to cancer) - I miss them dearly but I'm glad I made every moment with them count!
8. I learned about the importance of role models in your life. You need people to help encourage you on your path.
9. Say what you need to say! Life is short. Tell people how you feel about them.
10. Not everyone will be nice to you. This year, I finally learned how to cope with criticism.
11. Despite all the negativity in the world, I truly believe in the power of kindness and cherish it more than anything.
12. Persist through the fog and find the sunshine! We had fog or rain many times on the trip, but it didn’t last long. Share your story with the world. I have finished writing my book - and I plan on sharing it with you mid January. What a great way to start the new year!
What are the lessons you learned in 2012? I would love to hear them. All the Best in 2013!!!! Let's encourage each other to make this our best year yet!
Thank you for reading and your presence at this beach retreat. You Rock! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comment section below.
See you at the beach!